Monday, October 11, 2010

The Big BONG Theory


       Ever since my first encounter with the fiery Bengali folks in early 2010, I am a changed man. I am in love with everything about Bengalis - their rapidly spoken lingo, their weird slangs such as bokachoda (loosely translated as foolish f*****), their Anglo-Bangla accent where the English alphabet and vowels lost all their sense of  phonetics and, bhecame bheri bheri fhonny sounding :)

      The plethora of food, right from savoury snacks like Golgappa and  Jhaal mudi to sweets like  Paish and Chitrakut, and traditional meals like Luchis with the choto aam misthi jhol (small-mango-sweet curry), their fearless socio-political ideas, their soulful music such as  Mohiner Ghoraguli (plagiarised by Pritam in Gangster) and Art movies like Paath'er Paanchali, Antaheen and The Japanese Wife  have endeared me to them. This endearment is so overwhelming that when I meet a stranger who happens to be a Bengali, I tend to strike a conversation and crack a joke with him in Bangla, much to his shock and my amusement!
The good ol' Bullee is now,  Bongo bondhu Bullee Moshai, loosely translated as Mr. Bullee, the friend of Bengalis.

     It happened in Hyderabad during the months of Jan and Feb 2010 during the Initial Learning Program of the IT company I had joined. I was away from my family for the first time, in an alien land with no one to call my own. I had been brought up in a very protective environment, where I was dependent on my family for everything, with limited sense of responsibility and freedom. For this reason I was apprehensive when I left Bengaluru. What waited for me in Hyderabad was a culture shock- A batch full of Bengali and Oriya people who all belonged to the same university, knew each other and also had their own friends' circles.
But I am no underdog.

      I found Bangla and Oriya to be linguistically similar, and to me Konkani and Bangla sounded similar too. Putting together all the similarities, I picked up Bangla rapidly and in 2 weeks, I was in a position to engage in a mild conversation with a native Bengali speaker, and embarrass even a hardened Bengali in a competition of swear words! (Special thanks to Sudip Chandra Mitra aka Robot) This, and my Life Skills class oratory and comic timing (Hats off to our zesty coordinator Sreedevi Nagnur) coupled with my entertainment quotient, social concerns and friendly demeanour won me a whole lot of friends. Sometimes, people who did not even know me personally but had heard about me from their friends, would come and talk to me, share a joke or two. Then, they would invite me to their flat for a gathering and walk away with a glow of satisfaction on their face when I replied in affirmative!

      My guitar sessions with Avik and Chasu in the spacious living room of our flat where we sang songs like Bheegi Bheegi, Lukka Chhupi, Nirvana, Give me some Sunshine, Tu hi re and Bangla songs like Prithibita Naki.. were an instant hit with the tenants of our co-ed hostel. We sometimes had clandestine visitors who secretly listened to our jamming sessions, by crowding the staircase near our flat window! An Everybody Loves Anish situation prevailed, making me thank the Almighty for giving me the best time of my life! (upto that point in time)

     Before long, I couldn't help but notice the likeliness in Konkani and Bengali culture, clothing, jewellery, worship, festivals, wedding customs, bridal wear to name a few. There had to be a link. All this compelled me to research my forefathers' history and genealogy to find out the missing link between Bangla and me. I found that the community that I belonged to, the Gauda Saraswat Bramhans were a community whose existence was chronicled in the Puranas, Ramayana and Mahabharata. We were settlers along the mystical River Saraswati in North India, which is how we were called Saraswat. All was well until thousands of years ago, when the grand river dried up and changed its course due glacial changes in the Himaalayas. The once fertile Rajasthan, Kutch and Sindh became deserts and this event forced the mass migration of the Saraswat community to the banks of River Ganga, and led them to the blessed land - Gauda Desh - which was the ancient name - for modern day  B E N G A L.

      The Saraswats prospered here and absorbed the traditions, cultures and the language of the land and had a good life. In 1000 AD, the king of Gauda desh sent 96 families of Saraswats to settle down in Gomantaka Desh - - Goa and flourish, as he had a marital alliance with the King of Gomantaka. Those 96 families that came down to Goa were called Gauda Saraswat Brahmans by the local people, refering to their place of origin. The Saraswats who remained in Bengal mingled with the local population and lost their unique identity, while these 96 - 'shud-navi' (Origin of the name Shenoy) families - "shud" meaning 6 and "navi" meaning 90, most of them being educated and experienced in trade, administrative services and Mathematics recieved the patronage of the Kadamba kings and flourished in Goa.

      Again, all was well for another 500 years, until 1500s when the Portuguese landed in Goa and replaced the local kings. The religious intolerance of Alphonso de Albuquerque, the policy of INQUISITION under which Hindu holy places were destroyed, combined with the forcible conversion of the local population forced the mass exodus of the Konkani people further South, along the west coast, to places like Mangalore, Udupi and Kerala. I found that my family, was among the ones that settled in Udupi. I was filled with a sense of pride and admiration when I knew this :)  At last, I had found my Bong Connection.

      I was growing up, mentored by Sabiha. I was just beginning to discover new facets of Life, shown to me by Avik and Uttam. The fearlessness of Chasu and Hula, and the light hearted-seriousness of Sudipto and Sapto were beginning to permeate inside me.
But the 45 days passed sooner than I thought.

    One by one, all my buddies departed to different cities, not even one going to my destination - Bengaluru. I was all alone. Sometimes I wonder, if I should have chosen Mumbai over Bengaluru, and given life a chance. The times that followed were very hard for me. I was reminded of my Bengali friends,  every moment; and their advice, laughter, care, love and all the good things they had inside them, which they showered on me.
Life became monotonous again.

      I always wondered when things would be normal again; like in Hyderabad my beloved city. And Lo. A miracle. It was as if the Almighty heard my plea, in August. I consider my new Bong team mates to be a God-sent gift;...
An answer...
To my long standing ... Guzaarish! (request)

24 comments:

Anish Bhandarkar said...

Dedicate this post to ALL my friends in HYD who made my life wonderful..
Rock on guys.. Sorry I couldnt mention all of u in the post :)

ANITA DASH said...

u knw wt anish.. d btch afty ours hd both der trainin @cmc n allo dem gt postd in hyd....

those 45 dayz made me feel d real meanin n value o friendshp...

thnks anish --- for refreshin our memories thru this..

Unknown said...

Nice man , i though marathis and konkanis are same .. as konkani is 75 % marathi .

I was put up with many maharashtrain friends durin ILP . i could speak with them in broken marathi .

Unknown said...

nice one man!!.. but u douche!!!.. u should've gone further!! should've connected.. .. !!

Anish Bhandarkar said...

thanks guys.. its true tat Marathi and bangla r similar , but the bigger truth is that both these langs r derived from bangla !
like subset / superset..

BlogUser said...

Hey man..nice post!!! but hey u got other non-bangla friends as well ;)

Regards,
Kumble

Divya said...

Hey Anish!

Really great to know about wat u've been doing after being out of touch with u for long!

Some things never change! And those which do get only better!!
You have come a long way in blogging coz i remember being the first few readers to follow u up! :)

Really great! N keep up the good spirits!

Cheers,
Divya

Anish Bhandarkar said...

sobaike nomoshkaar !

Ei ta post aami Somware'e office'e boshun lukiye likhchilam.....
jokhon kyu dekhchilo na :-D
office'e eita khub moja !

Hyderabad charar pore aami Bangla bola aar shona ke khoob miss kortam..

kintu ekhon aar korina ! .. ALL IZZ WELL !
karan holo ekta Hangli :D
Dhonnobad Hangli !

Locas Writings said...

Amazing write up Anish. Let me start with the writing. Love Love Love it. There is a flow in the narration and keeps the reader focused. Choice of words is really good and the connection in the incidents.

Well coming to the main point, that is just UHMAZZINNGG.... The fact that you looked into your family tree - hats off man. :) Not many take the trouble to do that. You never fail to prove that you are a keen and curious young individual :) I myself have failed many a times in trying to figure out my ancestral lineage. Its so interesting how you have a little bengali blood in you :) COOL!!!!

Unknown said...

Splendid read, Anish... 'REFRESHING' is the word. I could recollect all you guys from the batch. It was a pleasure knowing you and being associated with you. I fondly remember those days :) :)
Have a great time Anish and keep ROCKING!

Joyful all the time!
Shridevi

Priya said...

Nice post.

Good to see people still searching their roots. Limited people like to get back.

By the way, even I am posting this comment from my office ;-)

Priya said...

Btw, nice background. Good new look..!! Don't know whether its new.. :-)

ashwini said...

Nice blog, Anish ! Very well written. Really impressed by the way you have done the research !! Good ! Way to go ! Keep the good work coming :)

steely sudu said...

Great work Aneesh...after reading this, i realised that i knw so li'l bout my own roots(being a bengali myself)...i shud b thankful 2 u...

This blog speaks highly of your inquisitive and rational attitude...and your gratitude to your friends...2 human qualities which are fast drying up from the face of the earth...3 CHEERS 2 U!!!

As far as the flow of the blog goes...it never lets the reader get off the hooks...it begins on a light note with a very serious and informative content...n d end brings a smile on the face of the reader....

gr8 2 hav a frnd like u...

Anish Bhandarkar said...

Thanks everyone for such wonderful reviews ! :-) This truely encourages me to write more.

KINTU . . .

Jar jonno ei ta lekha. .
shay ekbaror jonno porar
prayojano korlo na :(

Unknown said...

Well written memoire,could recall those well cherished moments at Hyderabad.Really miss you all,with whom I spent a wonderful time.And your bengali connection puts you very close to me,looking forward to teach you more of those words that I taught,ha ha....thanks,keep well..

Unknown said...

Really well written,its replete with good sense of humour...

Unknown said...

really nice anish.......brilliant..i loved it...

Rubberneck said...

Hey Anish, u rock man!! And u gotta a long way to go with your skills in writing, particularly the back tracking of the roots is awesome. Great thoughts..

And m really honoured to find a place in your blog.. :)

Rubberneck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niveditha said...

Hmmm.. good one.. i liked its narration the most.
Keep bloging...

Nidhin Olikara said...

What fascinates me is how trivial incidents or circumstances can lead one on a journey of discovery. Your stay in Bengal gave you an insight into the history and traditions of your own people.

New routes are often found from where caravans lose their way....

Great post.

Debraj Maity said...

Hey, nice blog man. Good research on the history of the bengal connection. You have mentioned some of things even I am not aware. Great going dude!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.